|ALEXANDRA PARK RACECOURSE|
Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor
The first meeting to take place at the Alexandra Park Racecourse was on Tuesday 30th June 1868. The course was situated near to Muswell Hill in Greater London; Ally Park, or the Frying Pan, was greatly appreciated by many, including John McCririck whose one great desire is to have sufficient funds to rebuild the course. The pear shaped course, with a stick attached, is how a number of people described the course, with 2 loops coming off a single straight, and all the races except the 5 furlong races were run the reverse way of the course, with the start being made by the winning post. The 5 furlong course, however, had well-graded curves about 2 furlongs from the start.
|Local Patrons||Lord Stanley, Sir E.Vincent|
The London Cup (later transferred to Newbury), Middlesex Plate, Flying 2-y-o Plate
Saturday 14th April 1900
The Middlesex Plate over 1 mile and a furlong
The London Cup Handicap over 1 ¼ miles
The Flying 2 year old Plate over 5 furlongs
Horse racing club members badge pass for Alexandra Palace racecourse, AP to centre, MIDDLESEX COUNTY RACING CLUB 1906 around the edge. Enamelled in red, white and blue, members number 174 on reverse. Made by Bowman Ltd, 70 Goswell Rd, London. Has some chips, mainly to the white enamel, but is still in a reasonable condition. Has a feint, hand engraved inscription on the back, reads KILLED IN ACTION NOV 4 1914 QGOH(?) H. ARCHER. On checking the War graves site, this appears to be true, but is one day out.
Famous Incident; Can you help?
The final meeting took place on 8th September 1970 and then Ally Park was no more!
|I am grateful to Jon Seddon for providing a grid reference to help locate the old racecourse and link to a map courtesy of Google.
|Course today||Little evidence of the course and grandstands.|
The rare handbill shown below is provided courtesy of the Robert Shaw collection.
|If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email email@example.com|
Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the
public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-
London Illustrated News
Racing Illustrated 1895-1899
The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated
Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough
The Sporting Magazine
A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8
Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727