This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing first came to the
Crystal Palace area of Sydenham, London in 1928. It was held on the dirt track at the
Crystal Palace Exhibition Grounds on 19th May 1928 with a crowd in excess of 6000
witnessing the first meeting.
After completing their final match of the 1933 season on 14th October when they won against Clapton by 32-29, but lost against West Ham by 31-29, they started preparing for the new season. However, they had to withdraw before the season started and that double header was to prove to be their final fixture.
|The club did compete in the curtain raiser to the 1932 season, which was the National Speedway Association Trophy.|
|Rather than competing with greyhound racing, like most speedway tracks, the speedway had to compete with horse racing, albeit of the mechanical kind, in the first year of its being. Fortunately this type of racing did not catch on, although speedway was to last for just 5 more years. The track was later used for other types of motor sport.|
|The team were initially members of the Southern League from 1929-31 and then joined the National League for the two seasons 1934 and 1935.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
by Lionel Crossley ISBN-10: 0950833436
|It will come as no surprise that the Crystal Palace team have always been known as The Glaziers.|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection