Curragh Racecourse History

The earliest record of racing at the Curragh was in April 1634 when a match over 4 miles was staged between Lord Digby, supported by the Earl of Cork, against the Earl of Ormond. The Earl of Ormond won and, as a consequence, the Earl of Cork lost a new beaver hat to one of Lord Digby’s gentlemen. This marked the start of racing in Ireland and the Curragh has been central to racing ever since. The Curragh was certainly the principal racecourse in Ireland in the late 17th century, staging His Majesty’s Plate on 21st September 1699, and a King’s Plate on 19th September 1700 when His Excellency the Earl of Galway, the Lord Chancellor and several members of the nobility were in attendance. Twice in 1701 the Earl of Galway attended the Curragh, firstly in mid-March and again in early April, but by the next year Royal Plates had ceased. Throughout the reign of Queen Anne, (8th March 1702 to 1st August 1714) no Plates were advertised to be run at the Curragh, but there were a number of Troop reviews held there by heads of Government. The land served as a large staging area for the Army, which also garrisoned some regiments there on a full-time basis. About this time the Army was heavily involved with the War of the Spanish Succession, and It is likely that their leisure activity was spent on the racecourse, especially among the Officer corps of the Horse Regiments. However, racing had certainly returned by Saturday 27th September 1718 when the King’s Plate was won by Mr Edward Stratford from Belan near Castledermot.The Curragh was also the first Irish course to have its results included in the Racing Registers by John Cheney. Although he had started his Registers in 1727, by 1741 he included Irish races, the first of which was won by Almazer owned by Lord Bessborough at the Curragh. The oldest race still in existence in Ireland is the Royal Whip which was first run at the Curragh in October 1821 when Langar defeated Roller. The Curragh remains the headquarters of Irish Racing and is also the home to a number of prominent racing stables from which Epsom Derby winners have been trained. The Irish Derby was first run in 1866 when won by Selim. Currently the course hosts 19 fixtures annually between March and October.

Although The Curragh remains a thriving racecourse, nearby Phoenix Park closed its gates for the final time in 1990.
Located in the townlands of Ashtown and Castlerock, Phoenix Park seemed to be the ideal place to site a racecourse on the northern edge of Dublin. It was the brainchild of J H H Peard and held its inaugural meeting on an enclosed course in 1902. The track remained under the control of the Peard family when, first son Harry took over in 1939, and then from 1950 to 1969 his wife Fanny ran the track. Racing continued for 12 years after she retired, but closed at the end of the 1981 season. It bore all the hallmarks for a successful, going concern and a consortium, led by Vernon’s Pools multi-millionaire Robert Sangster and ace racehorse trainer Sir Vincent O’Brien, re-opened the track in 1983. Could such a dynamic partnership fail? The course witnessed much success in this period in hosting prestigious races, including the Phoenix Stakes and the Irish Champion Stakes. However, they did fail after just 7 years and the track closed for the final time towards the end of 1990.
I am grateful to Google Maps (© Googlemap) for permission to use the map shown below.

The Silver trophy shown opposite was of height 10 ½ inches and was awarded to the winner of the Kildare Hunt £50 Weight for Age race held on 13th September 1757
Tuesday 13th September 1757
Kildare Hunt £50 Weight for Age

1. Spot 5 year old grey horse owned by Sir Ralph Gore 5 1 1
2. Riot 5 year old bay mare owned by Mr Walpole 1 2 3
3. Achilles 6 year old bay horse owned by Mr O’Neill 2 3 2
4. Trunion aged bay horse owned by Sir Edward O’Brien 6 4 4
5. Ruby 5 year old bay mare owned by Mr Fitzgerald 7 5 wdr
6. Tamerlane aged bay horse owned by Mr Brown 3 wdr
7. Driver 5 year old grey gelding owned by Mr Pidgeon 4 wdr
8. Chance 5 year old bay horse owned by Donnellan dnf

1927 Ladies 1935 Gents 1939 Ladies 1939 Gents 1941 Ladies
1947 Gents 1950 Gents 1956 Gents 1964 Gents 1968 Gents
1971 Gents 1973 Gents 1978 Gents 1979 Gents 1981 Gents
1983 Gents 1986 Gents 1989 Gents 1990 Gents 1990 Ladies
1994 Member 1994 Sponsor 1996 Member 1996 Annual 1997 Annual
1998 Annual 1999 Balcony 1999 Annual 1999 Joint Membership 2000 Member
2000 Sponsor 2001 Member 2001 Sponsor 2002 Member 2002 Joint Membership
2002 Sponsor 2003 Member 2003 Annual 2003 Sponsor 2003 Joint Membership
2004 Member 2005 Balcony 2005 Joint Membership 2006 Joint Membership 2007 Joint Membership
2008 Joint Membership 2019 Member 2019 Club Member 2020 Member Committee

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to