|NEW CROSS RANGERS
This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing first took place at
the New Cross Stadium on Hornshay Street off the Old Kent Road in 1934. That initial
meeting was on 18th April of that year and was as a result of the movement of the Crystal
Palace team from just down the road. It was witnessed by an excited crowd in excess of
15000, made even more excited by a victory over local rivals West Ham by 32-21.
Action continued at the track right up until the start of the War, both in the National League and then the Division 1, but after the War speedway resumed in 1946. Speedway continued to flourish in various Leagues and Open guises until a final meeting on 2nd August 1963, when the Rangers went out like a damp squib loosing to Poole by 41-37.
|The team was successful in winning the League in 1936 and again in 1948.|
|There was already a greyhound track at the New Cross Stadium before the arrival of speedway, and the speedway track was built on the inside of that track to make the stadium dual purpose. Greyhound racing continued well after speedway had drawn up the shutters, but the final meeting took place on 3rd April 1969.|
|At avrious times throughout their history the team have been known as the Tarners, the Lambs and the Rangers.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection