Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Friday 13th July 1838
Final meeting: Saturday 14th July 1838
On the south-western outskirts of the city of Glasgow is a district known as Pollok. Today it is almost subsumed into Glasgow, but in earlier times it commanded its own importance. Near to Pollok is Crookston Castle which once held Mary, Queen of Scots captive, whilst nearby is the Pollok Country Park, the area on which the district held its own race meeting back in the early 19th century. Today the same area boasts a museum containing the wonderful Burrell collection. The 2 day meeting was billed as Pollock and Glasgow races and took place on Friday 13th and Saturday 14th July 1838. On the opening day the Glasgow Subscription Plate was won by Sir J Boswell’s Burletta, while the £30 Plate went to Mr Ramsay’s Centurion. The feature race on the final day was the Pollockshaw Cup, which saw Centurion get the better of Burletta.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 3 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons Sir J Boswell, Mr Ramsay, Mr Bell
Principal Races

Pollockshaw Cup, Glasgow £20 Purse, Pollock £30 Plate

Saturday 14th July 1838
Pollockshaw £50 Cup
1. Centurion, aged horse owned by Mr Ramsay
2. Burletta, aged horse owned by Sir J Boswell
3. Bendershin, aged mare owned by Sir J Boswell

The final meeting took place on Saturday 14th July 1838.
Course today On parkland on the outskirts of the town.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email johnwslusar@gmail.com

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing johnwslusar@gmail.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to johnwslusar@gmail.com