Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Saturday 7th March 1931
Final meeting: Saturday 22nd April 1939
The first recorded meeting took place at Salisbury Plain Racecourse in 1931 on a course situated at Windmill Hill near Tidworth which was previously a Neolithic Causeway. The races were organised by a Committee called the Salisbury Plain Race Club who leased the land from the War Office. The course, a circumference of a mile and three quarters, enjoyed the benefit of 198 acres of open ground. In 1931, after the inaugural meeting was such a success a second meeting took place on Saturday 14th March, opening with the Royal Artillery race which went to Mr P R Henderson’s Hinode who defeated the odds on 4/5 favourite The Ghazi. The feature race, the Tidworth Open Cup, was won by Golden Light, owned by Sir Guy Cunard, on 16th March 1932. The Challenge Cup continues to be awarded each each to the jockey aboard the winner of the Grand Miltary Gold Cup now held at Sandown Park. By 1937 five days of racing were offered, starting on Saturday 6th March with a 2nd Cavalry Brigade meeting, and extending to the Bona-fide Military meeting on Saturday 17th April. The meetings were brought to a close just before the War, but not before an impressive six days of racing were staged in 1939, culminating in a meeting on Saturday 22nd April 1939.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 2 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons Sir Guy Cunard
Principal Races Tidworth Open Cup

Saturday 14th March 1931
RASC Heavyweight Challenge Cup
1. Kingsley, aged horse owned by Major P A Arden
2. Countess V, aged mare owned by Captain E A Wanton
3. Lorna Doone VII, aged mare owned by Captain Smith

The final meeting took place on Saturday 22nd April 1939.
Course today Larkhill racecourse continues to provide excellent Point to Point meetings.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

1931 1932 1933 1933
1934 1935 1937 1939
1938 1939  

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to