Savile House Stables
If you can provide any photos associated with this stable, or additional information to fill any gaps then contact
If you wish to research the history of another Newmarket Stable then go to the Stable Index OR Interactive Map.

1881-August 1883 William Gilbert
Savile House Stables first appeared on maps in the very early 1880s which, in those early days, was the training establishment of William Gilbert. William was certainly listed in Kelly's Directory in 1883 as being resident at Savile House. William Gilbert had been private trainer to Captain Henry Savile between 1869 and 1881 at the Nunnery Stables, on Park Lane, in Newmarket, transferring to Saville House in 1881, leaving Richard Sherrard to take over the training duties at The Nunnery. William Gilbert and Henry Savile had achieved their greatest success when Cremorne (SR 2065) won the 1872 Epsom Derby at 3/1 ridden by Charlie Maidment. William Gilbert was born in 1830 in Stockbridge, Hampshire. Captain Henry Savile was born in 1821 and inherited the Rufford Abbey Estate in Nottinghamshire, but was struggling financially until he wagered the Estate on Cremorne winning the 1872 Epsom Derby. In the event Cremorne got home by a head, re-establishing Savile's fortune and allowing the successful partnership with Gilbert to continue. Gilbert moved across from The Nunnery to Savile House in 1881, but the partnership came to an end on 28th August 1881 when Savlle died in Grosvenor Square, London. William Gilbert died in August 1883, his life 'singularly quiet and regular, with the prime of it devoted to the service of Henry Savile, guiding his colours of yellow jacket and scarlet cap to Epsom Derby and Ascot Gold Cup wins'. Today the yard consists of the main house and two yards, with the smaller of the two yards at the side of the former Five Bells public house. It is not known whether this has always been part of Savile House Stables, or whether it was once part of the public house's own stable area and was subsumed into Saville House at some stage.
1872 Epsom Derby run on Wednesday 29th May 1872

  1. CREMORNE (3/1) owned by Henry Savile, trained by William Gilbert and ridden by Charlie Maidment
  2. PELL MELL (50/1) owned by J N Astley and ridden by Tom Chaloner
  3. QUEEN'S MESSENGER (6/1) owned by Lord Falmouth and ridden by T French
  4. WENLOCK (7/1) owned by Lord Wilton and ridden by W Pratt

1872 Epsom Derby CREMORNE (SR 2065) 3/1 owned by Henry Savile, trained by William Gilbert and ridden by Charlie Maidment
1872 Ascot Gold Cup CREMORNE owned by Henry Savile, trained by William Gilbert and ridden by Charlie Maidment

The image above, drawn by Sir Leslie Ward, was published in Vanity Fair and is in the public domain because it's artist, Ward, died in 1922, over 95 years ago.
To access an alternative, very detailed map of Newmarket stables Click Here.
For over 4 centuries racing has been staged in Newmarket, but how have the racecourses evolved from an initial starting point at Fleam Dyke Pumping Station, some 8 miles from the town, with a winning post barely 200 metres from the town centre, into two world recognized, excellent racecourses and a universal acceptance that Newmarket is the Headquarters of racing?
To access an interactive racecourse map showing over 50 individually named racecourses CLICK HERE. The map will enable you to:-
1. Determine when extended races over 8 miles, 6 miles and 4 miles began to be replaced by the courses now visited by thousands annually;
2. Consider how the challenge of crossing the Devil's Dyke was overcome;
3. Contemplate why the town no longer has a steeplechase course despite having at least 5 courses during the past 2 centuries;
4. Examine the practicalities of having up to 48 starting posts and winning posts;
5. Appreciate that it was not financially viable to have an open racecourse spread widely across the heath, with a finishing post barely 200 metres from the town centre;
6. Research how and why the Cambridgeshire Handicap has been contested over 3 different courses.
NOTE: The map does not make mention of 2 particular courses:-
(i) Sefton Course (also known as the Cambridge Road Course)
Source: 1970 Raceform. Used from 1959 to 1975.
(ii) New Circular Course
The Circular Handicap was run on Friday 29th October 1875 on the New Circular Course of about two miles.
Source: London Standard (30th October 1875): ''the horses started near the Turn of the Lands, ran back way of the Cambridgeshire Course towards the Ditch, and afterwards proceeded down the side of the Tan Gallop, and turned into the Rowley Mile near the Bretby Stakes starting post, finishing at the stand at the end of the flat. Except in the hollow near the Cambridgeshire start the runners should have been visible all the way if the sky had been bright and clear''.
Another report hoped that the Circular Handicap would become a feature in future programmes, as it would be contested in front of the new grandstand which would be completed in about a year and would be able to accommodate thousands.
(I am grateful to Tim Cox for bringing attention to these 2 courses.)
Enjoy researching the intriguing history of Newmarket and its many racecourses.

August 1883-July 1889 William Gilbert junior
William Gilbert died in August 1883, but his son, also named William, was also a trainer. His most important success was winning the 1885 Epsom Oaks for the 5th Earl of Cadogan with Lonely ridden by Fred Archer. His fortunes changed a few years later when he was declared bankrupt in July 1889.
1885 Epsom Oaks LONELY (SR 1966) 85/40 fav owned by the 5th Earl of Cadogan, trained by William Gilbert junior and ridden by Fred Archer.

Spring 1887-1891 Alfred Gilbert
Alfred Gilbert, born at Newmarket on 11 December 1863, son of William Gilbert and brother of William Gilbert junior, became a racehorse trainer in the Spring of 1887. He had assisted his father, and afterwards his brother, at Savile House stables, and his mother still lived in Savile House at the time, but in the Spring of 1887, with William struggling financially, Alfred took over the training duties, although the stables were frequently used to stable visiting horses. In 1900 he married Miss Fanny Osborn Ennion, a member of a leading local legal family, in Newmarket. By then Gilbert had moved to East Dereham in Norfolk and their two daughters were born there. For many years he was a partner in Goddard and Gilbert, wine and spirit merchants in the Market Place in that little town. He died at Deva House, East Dereham, on 12 September 1943.

July 1896 George Porter
In July 1896 George Porter, relation to the more famous racehorse trainer John Porter, was in charge at Saville House, presumably leasing it from Mr Gilbert. Attainment, one of the top fillies of 1896, was owned by John Porter and was transported to Newmarket to shelter at George Porter's Savile House stables prior to running in the Fullerton Handicap. Despite showing great promise at home, she disappointed in the race and was never a factor.

1883-1906 The Gilberts
Although William Gilbert senior died at his home on 28 August 1883 aged 53, he was survived by a widow Ann Eliza, three sons, Ducker, William and Alfred, and four daughters. Mrs William (Ann Eliza) Gilbert lived on until 1907 aged 78, dying at Mabille House. One of his daughters married into the Simpson family, noted Newmarket newspaper publishers and racing enthusiasts, Frank Simpson winning the Newmarket Town Plate a record 17 times. For thirty years after William's death his family continued to own Saville House, Mabille House, where there was stabling for 15 horses, and the private residence Clermont House. Saville House, the largest with 17 boxes, was used for 17 years by John Porter on his frequent forays to Newmarket.


I am grateful to Ordnance Survey (© Crown Copyright) for permission to use the 1836 map shown above. Saville House is 2
To enjoy the experience of a day at Newmarket races in May 1838 CLICK HERE
March 1906
In March 1906 Savile House and Stables were put onto the market, For Sale or To Let, by Mr A E Gilbert. They were described at the time as, 'Well situated in the centre of Newmarket, with room for 18 horses, although stabling could be built for as many as required as the grounds are extensive and, should extra stables be required at once, the adjoining stables at Mabille House are available To Let.'
The intricate connection between Saville House, Foley House, Exeter House and Mabille House
I am grateful to Tony Pringle, long-time resident of Newmarket, landlord of the Five Bells Public House for a prolonged period, and keen Newmarket historian, for the diagrams shown below and explanation of the connection between Saville House, Exeter House, Foley House and Mabille House. When William Gilbert jun moved into Saville House, Annie had Oaks Villa built, between the chapel and Saville House, probably on the back of their winnings from their 1885 Oaks victory with Lonely. However, Oaks Villa had a relatively short history as it was on the 1902 map, but had disappeared by 1926. It was Annie Gilbert who also had Plympton Villas built on the Exeter Road; 10 residences on the top edge of Saville House paddock. When the executors of Annie Gilbert put Saville House up for sale, she was also selling Mabille House (present day (2024) a Chinese takeaway) as a racing stable. The stables there at that time were used as an overspill for Saville House. Later the stable block was sold to Greene, King and reversed to face into the Five Bells public house yard rather than, as originally, towards Foley House There must have been another block facing towards the actual house, as the Five Bells only ever had stabling for 6 horses. An extension, also later acquired by Greene, King, held another 4 stables. The wall across the end of the property was big enough to accommodate around 6 more stables, but over time Mitson, the cycle shop owner, must have removed them and erected an asbestos shed where he assembled his bicycles.
Tony Pringle knocked rotting roof off that extension when the brewery bought that garden, and his successor at the Five Bells knocked down the asbestos shed. By 1931 when the Pringle family took over Five Bells, the blue bits on the diagram were owned by brewers Greene, King & Sons who let it to Sid Welch (1931-1968) and his grandson Tony (1968-1991) as tenants; the red bits, including the large garden, were bought by Greene King in the 1970s, while Mabille House is shown in orange. Tony Pringle confesses that the whole area remains a very confusing part of Newmarket's history, as the connection between Saville House, Mabille House, Foley House and Exeter House has varied many times over the years. William Gilbert junior, the saddler, lived at Clermont House until his death in 1964, but during his lifetime he organised the Town Plate for many years, and shortly after his death his widow moved to Northampton, the property then being inhabited by the Pringles.

1906-11 William James Halsey
William James Halsey was born at Potter's Bar, Middlesex, in 1867 and was brought up by his grandmother in nearby Barnet, spending the early part of his working life driving a butcher's cart. William was appointed as jockey and trainer to Sir John Alexander Miller, who had built Nepcote Lodge Stables on a 7-acre plot in 1892, having impressed Miller by his riding of Pan into second place at 100/1 in the 1890 Grand National, beaten 12 lengths by Ilex. He became a successful jump jockey, being crown champion jump jockey in 1895, the year in which he won the Scottish Grand National on the suitably named Nepcote. Arguably his most productive period was at the turn of the century when he concentrated on the flat, riding Handicapper (SR 1950) to win the 1901 2000 Guineas at 33/1 for Sir Ernest Cassel, and Australian Star to win the 1901 City and Suburban Handicap. Six years later he rode Wool Winder (SR 1893), the 11/10 favourite to win the 1907 St Leger for Colonel Edward Baird, followed a year later by Housay winning the 1908 Ebor Handicap at York. William continued to be successful over the jumps, riding Barsac (25/1) to second place behind Ambush II in the 1900 Grand National. He purchased Savile House Stables in the early years of the 20th century, training and riding from there until November 1911.

1912-14 H Musker
When William Halsey was enticed away from Savile House to train at Moulton Paddocks in November 1911 by Sir Ernest Cassel, Halsey leased Saville House and stables to H Musker who used it as his training base.

July 1913-November 1914 George Frederick Leader
George Frederick Leader was born into a highly successful racing family in 1881 and rode as a jockey until his weight became a problem. He then acted as assistant trainer to his uncle, Mr W Leader, followed by a stint as assistant to Francis Lambton. He joined the American trainer Andrew Jack Joyner in 1909 as assistant at Balaton Lodge during a particularly successful period for the stables. When Joyner retuned to America George took charge at Savile House in July 1913. He was then private trainer to Mr J Musker for a further year. Once he left Savile House he continued to train successfully, initially at Russeley Park and then in Newmarket, living at Warren House and then Primrose Cottage until June 1933. Tragedy struck on Tuesday 13th June 1933 when he and his wife were killed in a car crash on the Great North Road, near Stevenage. Earlier that day he had saddled Gainslaw Lad to win the Gold Vase at Royal Ascot for owner Mr H J Sims, and was returning from the meeting when the accident occurred.

June 1918 Ernest Tinsley
On 29th June 1918 Ernest Tinsley, formerly a trainer in Malton, Yorkshire, took over training duties at Savile House Stables, bringing with him a small string of horses. Ernest had been a prominent trainer in Malton, beginning in the latter part of the 19th century, occupying Athol House Stables. He then moved to council owned stables, but in 1914 the Classic winning trainer Sir John Scott purchased Grove House and Stables in Malton for £2,500, installing Ernest Tinsley as his private trainer. This arrangement continued until June 1918 when Tinsley moved to Newmarket. Almost immediately he suffered an horrific injury when riding Alexandra at exercise, a horse transferred from Egerton House Stables, which fell heavily and rolled on top of him.

August 1918-July 1919 Walter Griggs
Walter Griggs, born in Gillingham, Kent on 13th October 1888, was the son of a Canterbury butcher who also fancied himself as a small-time bookmaker. Walter, along with his brother William, inherited his love of racing from his father, the pair taking up apprenticeships with Robert Sherwood in Newmarket. Walter gained his first win on Sotto Voce at Haydock Park on 20th May 1905, and in 1908 he won the St Leger with Jack Barnato Joel's Your Majesty (SR 1972) 11/8 fav trained by Charles Morton. The horse had already won the St James's Palace Stakes, St George's Stakes at Liverpool and the Eclipse Stakes at Sandown. The next year Walter rode Dean Swift 7/2 to victory in the Coronation Cup for the Joel/Morton combination. On 17th December 1913 Walter married Florence Rickaby, eldest daughter of Fred Rickaby, at St Agnes Church, Newmarket. He achieved his second St Leger victory in 1914 when partnering Black Jester (SR 2032) at 10/1 for Jack Joel, and in 1915 he captured another classic when Snow Marten (SR 1908) won the war-time New Oaks Stakes at Newmarket at 20/1. During the latter part of the First World War Walter served in the Royal Navy Air Service, but after the War, with his weight too heavy to continue riding, he launched his training career, taking over Savile House Stables on a temporary basis, although he could not occupy Savile House at the time as that was owned by William Halsey and he required it after leaving Moulton Paddocks. Instead, Walter Griggs made use of Arthur Whalley's house. Walter then purchased Exeter House Stables from Alfred Hayhoe in August 1919.

November 1919-October 1927 William James Halsey
William James Halsey was born at Potter's Bar, Middlesex, in 1867 and was brought up by his grandmother in nearby Barnet. He became a successful jockey when his most productive period was at the turn of the century, riding Handicapper (SR 1950) to win the 1901 2000 Guineas at 33/1 for Sir E Cassell, and Australian Star to win the 1901 City and Suburban Handicap. Six years later he rode Wool Winder (SR 1893), the 11/10 favourite to win the 1907 St Leger for Colonel Edward Baird, followed a year later by Housay winning the 1908 Ebor Handicap at York. William was also successful over the jumps, riding Barsac (25/1) to second place behind Ambush II in the 1900 Grand National. The highpoint of his training career was winning the 1923 Irish Derby with Waygood (SR 1906) at 6/1 for Walter Raphael, although by then he had also been responsible for Troubabour's 1914 Cesarewitch victory at 66/1 for Sir Ernest Cassel. Earlier in the year he had guided Hapsburg to victory in the Eclipse Stakes after he had been runner-up to Durbar (SR 2030) in the Epsom Derby. William was listed as being at Savile House in 1911, although he leased the yard to George Frederick Leader, Ernest Tinsley and Walter Earl until after the War. In 1919 he left Moulton Paddocks to continue his training career at Savile House. A happy occasion took place at Savile House on Saturday 6th August 1921 with the announcement of the engagement of Frederick Lane to Myrtle Halsey, daughter of William and brother of Claude Halsey. William retired 3 years later, but stayed on at Savile House until October 1927, although the stables were run by John Misa. William continued to reside in Newmarket where he enjoyed a long and happy retirement, living to the ripe old age of 94, dying on 5th November 1961.
1914 Eclipse Stakes at Sandown HAPSBURG owned by Sir Ernest Cassel, trained by William Halsey and ridden by Cornelius Foy
1914 Cesarewitch TROUBADOUR (66/1) owned by Sir Ernest Cassel, trained by William Halsey and ridden by C Dickens
1923 Irish Derby WAYGOOD (SR 1906) 6/1 owned by Walter Raphael, trained by William Halsey and ridden by Morny Wing

April 1926-July 1926 Frank Barling
Francis William Bonnor Barling, son of a Gloucestershire farmer Frederick Barling, was born in 1869 in Ross-on-Wye and qualified as a Vet in Rugby before opening a practise in Monmouthshire. At the age of 32 he became interested in building up a stud of shire horses, but in 1906 he decided to launch his training career, starting at Hodcott House, West Ilsley. His biggest win whilst at West Ilsley was Subterranean, 11/2 winner of the 1912 Liverpool Spring Cup when owned by J Ellis Potter and ridden by W Huxley. After being commissioned in the AVC he then took out a short lease at Warren House, Newmarket between August and September 1915 before he returned to West Ilsley. He spent a further period at Warren House from August 1916 until March 1917. At this stage of his career he was a nomadic trainer, spending time at Beaufort House from April 1917, then departing for Falmouth Lodge from February 1918 where he trained for Lord Glanely, 1st Baron Glanely. He reached the pinnacle of his career when he trained the unexpected winner of the 1919 Epsom Derby Grand Parade (SR 1968) at 33/1 when ridden by Fred Templeman. It proved to be a spectacular year for both owner and trainer, recording 7 wins at Royal Ascot, all of which are listed in the Falmouth Lodge/Pegasus section of this site. Frank left Falmouth House when Lord Glanely purchased La Grange from George Blackwell in April 1920, but he then suffered a period of ill health which forced him to temporarily retire. However, once on the road to recovery he began enjoying farming again, and then yearned to return to the training ranks, spending time at Sefton Lodge from August 1923 until December 1924. Between 1925 and April 1926 he returned to La Grange, although his relationship with Lord Glanely deteriorated and Frank took out an extremely short lease at Savile House prior to renting Kremlin House from Joe Butters in August 1926, later purchasing it in 1927. In the latter part of his training career he was assisted by his son Geoff, especially during periods when his health was poor. During the time he operated from the various stables listed, he was also linked with a private stable from Primrose Cottage, passing it on to his son, Geof Bonnor Barling, in September 1934. Frank died in Newmarket on 17th April 1935.

October 1927-1931 John Misa
John 'Jack' Misa held a licence to train on the Flat in 1924 and from late 1927 to 1931, spending the early period in Berkshire and the rest in Newmarket at Savile House which his father purchased. He received permission to train on the Heath in October 1927,but it was not until Wednesday 30th November 1927 that John moved into Savile House. At the end of 1931 he called it a day and sold his tack.

1935-1939 Hugh Powney
Hugh Powney was destined to become a racehorse trainer, for his father taught him the art of reading pedigree lines from an early age. His father, John, lived his entire life in the same house at Lansdown, Bath, being born and dying in the exact same room in May 1894. He owned racehorses for over 50 years, and is widely, but incorrectly, reported to have owned the staying horse The Hero, when he won the 1847 Goodwood Cup. However, the Racing Calendars and all newspapers at that time record John Day as the owner, with John Powney not owning him until he was 6-years-old. As a 3-year-old, the chestnut colt The Hero ran in the colours of John Day when second at 4/1 favourite in the Goodwood Stakes behind Jonathan Wild on Wednesday 29th July 1846. On Friday 14th August 1846 The Hero won 2 consecutive races for John Day at Salisbury, winning the Salisbury Handicap from Miss Shirley when ridden by A Day, and then walking over in the Salisbury Gold Cup over 2 miles. He won the Dundas Stakes, His Majesty's Plate and the County Cup at York in August. He opened his 4-year-old account at Ascot Heath on Thursday 3rd June 1847 wearing the colours of John Day in His Majesty The Emperor of Russia's Plate, beating Wolf-dog when 6/4 joint favourite. However, the pinnacle of his career was reached on Thursday 29th July 1847, still in the ownership of John Day, when The Hero won the Goodwood Cup (4/5 fav) over 2 3/4 miles from Eryx. As a 5-year-old in 1848 he won again at Goodwood for John Day, but he was bought by John Powney in 1849 as a six-year-old and ran down the field in 6th behind Lord Stanley's Canezou in the Goodwood Cup on Thursday 2nd August 1849.
Hugh assisted his brother John at Grateley before going on to assist Major Bewick. He then was appointed private trainer to Sir Ernest Cassel at Moulton Paddocks, although Sir Ernest died on 21st September 1921. Hugh then became a public trainer at Waterwich House, Newmarket, while in January 1923 he occupied a few boxes at Osborne House, leased from Ellen Chaloner. He then re-launched his training career at Grateley, Hamblton where he continued to train for a number of years until, in November 1933, he was appointed private trainer to Mr Michalinos at Jevington, Sussex. In 1935 Hugh Powney purchased the Savile House for £5,000, training there until the outbreak of the Second World War when it was seconded by the Ministry of Food for use as a storage premises. Hugh used the time away from training as a stud manager and also acted as Clerk of the Scales. It was during his time at Savile House that he trained Sandsprite (100/1), owned by Mrs Florence Nagle and ridden by J Crouch, to finish second in the 1937 Epsom Derby behind Mididay Sun (100/7). Hugh died in his sleep in March 1945, aged 69, at Durrington, near Salisbury, where he was on business.
Margaret Sarah Day (1832-Monday 10th August 1914)
Margaret Sarah Day, widow of the late John Powney, died on Monday 10th August 1914 at Durrington House, Salisbury aged 82, having enjoyed a life-long connection with racing. She was the niece of ‘old’ John Barham Day, known as ‘Honest John’, who trained for Lord Palmerston and Lord George Bentinck and was the cousin of John Day junior, spending many of her early years at Danebury Stables. She married John Powney and lived at the old grey farmhouse adjacent to Bath racecourse at Lansdown. John Powney jointly owned the 1847 Goodwood Cup winner The Hero with John Day, although it ran in the colours of John Day. Despite that, for many years the Goodwood Cup held pride of place at Durrington House, and in 1849 The Hero (5/1) contested the Goodwood Cup again, this time in the colours of John Powney, although it was unplaced behind Lord Stanley’s Canezou. During the couple’s time in Wiltshire they held open-house throughout Bath race week, offering open-handed hospitality to all, particularly enjoying the company of visiting jockeys. Margaret cherished a letter from the great Fred Archer who wrote stating his regret for not paying them a visit. Margaret and John had 3 sons, John, Harry and Hugh, who all became well-known trainers in their own right, and Hugh’s son John also fully embraced the world of racing, first as a trainer and then in the administrative side of the industry.

1939-45 Ministry of Food
Throughout the War years Savile House was taken over by the Ministry of Food, and its stables and outbuildings used as storage.

newmarket 1918e.JPG (26765 bytes) Newmarket 1940.JPG (18535 bytes) newmarket 1948e.JPG (10601 bytes)

1945-1946 Claude Halsey
After the Second World War had ended Claude Halsey rented the establishment, remaining in post until replaced by George Archibald. In 1912, prior to the outbreak of the First World War, Claude Halsey was training at Sackville House. He was the son of the successful jockey and trainer William (Bill) Halsey, and was born in 1889, riding his first winner in 1904. His father's most successful period as a jockey was at the turn of the century, riding Handicapper (SR 1950) to win the 1901 2000 Guineas at 33/1 for Sir Ernest Cassel. Six years later he rode Wool Winder (SR 1893), the 11/10 favourite to win the 1907 St Leger for Colonel Edward Baird. William was also successful over the jumps, riding Barsac (25/1) to second place behind Ambush II in the 1900 Grand National. The highpoint of his training career was winning the 1923 Irish Derby with Waygood (SR 1906) at 6/1 for Walter Raphael. He retired a year later and moved to Newmarket where he enjoyed a long and happy retirement, living to the ripe old age of 94, dying on 5th November 1961. Claude's training career was interrupted by the outbreak of the First World War, but he resumed training after the War, enjoying his most successful period as a trainer between 1920 and 1940 at Chantilly, France where his chief patron was Monsieur Alexandre Aumont. After the War had ended he moved to Savile House, Newmarket before transferring a year later to Somerville Lodge where his son Alan acted as his assistant trainer. Claude died of coronary thrombosis on Thursday 29th December 1955, aged 66, and was replaced at Somerville Lodge by son Alan.

1947-late 1956 George Archibald
George Archibald, the ex-National Hunt jockey, replaced Claude Halsey. George William Archibald, son of the successful jockey also called George, was born in California on 2nd April 1915. George senior rode Meridian to win the 1911 Kentucky Derby before moving to England after the War had ended. He went on to win the 1922 2000 Guineas on St Louis (SR 1925) at 6/1, but tragically died on 5th April 1927. He was another from a long line of jockeys to have difficulty controlling his weight and this took its toll on him, for at the 1927 Craven meeting he took 5 rides despite being ill. All were unplaced, he rode Relation in the Visitors Plate, Who in the Ashley Stakes, Royal Pom in the Spring Stakes, China Tea in the Fitzwilliam Stakes and Gliding Orb in the Crawfurd Handicap, but complained of feeling unwell and died later that day. He was buried just 3 days later in Newmarket Cemetery. George Archibald junior was an enthusiastic National Hunt jockey who was beaten a short head by Poet Prince (7/2) when riding Savon (100/30) in the 1941 Cheltenham Gold Cup. He contested 5 Grand Nationals; in 1937 he was unplaced on Pencraik behind Royal Mail (100/6), in 1938 unplaced on KDH (100/1) behind Battleship (40/1), in 1939 he was third on Kilstar (8/1 fav) behind Workman (100/8), in 1940 he was unplaced on Kilstar behind Bogskar (25/1), while in 1946 he was unplaced on Suzerain (33/1) behind Lovely Cottage (25/1). A few years after the War had ended he launched his training career at Savile House in Newmarket. Early on in his time at Savile House Stables a fire broke out in the loft of a stable block on Wednesday 18th July 1951. Although it could have proved catastrophic, no horses were injured, all being led to safety to other loose boxes. He was lured to America in 1956 to train for Paul Mellon. He remained in America after he retired, dying in Florida on 4th February 1997 aged 81.

Late 1960s-1975 John Powney, Pat Moore
After George Archibald had completed his tenure, John Powney and his sister let the yard to, amongst others, Pat Moore. For two years John trained for David Robinson prior to taking out his own licence and moving to Savile House Stables. At this stage it is worth comparing the Savile House Stables occupied by John Powney, and before him his father Hugh, with the Savile House Stables of 2022. In 2022 the stables consists of the main house and two yards, the newer of which was built on part of the paddock at the rear of the house that backs onto Exeter Road; whereas in Hugh's time and before, the occupants of Savile House probably rented a small yard from their neighbour The Five Bells; at that time still a pub; to utilise as an overflow yard.

1975-November 1980 John Powney
John Powney, son of the former Savile House trainer Hugh, and grandson of John Powney, who owned the 1847 Goodwood Cup winner The Hero, albeit two years after it won the Cup, had racing running through his veins. He began as an apprentice jockey, just after the War, to Walter Earl at Stanley House, then owned by Lord Derby. He did not make the big time as a jockey, but became head lad to Fred (Sam) Armstrong, and later Harry Thomson Jones. In 1971 he joined Michael Jarvis at Carlburg, and Paul Davey at Clarehaven, adjacent stables both owned by TV and Radio Rentals millionaire David Robinson. He trained for David for 2 years before branching out on his own at Savile House Stables, gaining joint ownership with his sister of a stables that his father Hugh had occupied almost half a century earlier. He later exchanged life as a trainer for life as a stud man, beginning at Someries Stud before moving on to the Longstones Stud at Kennet. He ended his full-time working life at West Stow Stud, but after retirement he continued to work in the racing industry, spending time in the Practical Gallery at the 'old' National Horseracing Museum before it moved to its current location opposite Palace House and adjacent to the former Palace House Stables, the Tattersalls Control Office and, at odd times acting as Clerk of the Scales. The Control Office was an exciting place to work, and more to his taste than theTattersalls Sales Office, checking the paperwork of incoming horses, their passports and vets certificates. John died on Wednesday 22nd February 2017 aged 87, having lived at Shalfleet Cottage for most of his married life.

November 1980-1982 Chuck Spares
Chuck Spares, the son of the jockey Charlie Spares who rode the 1951 Epsom Derby winner Arctic Prince (SR 2060) owned by Joseph McGrath and trained by Willie Stephenson, was born in 1944 and began as an apprentice with Sam Hall at Middleham aged 13. He then joined Michael Stoute as second travelling head lad, and had stints with Jack Watts, David Ringer and Monty Stevens before branching out in his own right as a trainer. He bought Savile House Stables in November 1980 in readiness for the 1981 season, and kept a string of about 30 horses in training for a few years. He struck early on in his training career, winning at Salisbury with Singing Sailor ridden by Ernie Johnson in 1981. He then moved to Aslockton, near Bingham in Nottinghamshire to continue his training career for a further 8 years. He was responsible for the high-class National Hunt horse Ibn Majed, who he picked up for 2,500 guineas, and also trained Mummy's Treasure who won many sprint races. Savile House stables remained empty for a number of years after Chuck's departure, until Willie and Judy Musson purchased the establishment in 1984. Chuck retired as a trainer in 1990 and became a landlord, initially at the Wheatsheaf Hotel, Bingham, and later he returned to the Newmarket area at The Crown at Fordham. He suffered a stroke in 1999 and never fully, dying on 21st October 2003 aged 59.

1984-September 2016 Willie Musson
Willie Musson was born at Rudgwick, West Sussex, in 1949 and enjoyed a successful point to point career from the age of 16, later attending Cirencester Agricultural College after leaving school. He suffered a career ending knee injury in a point-to-point race, forcing him to retire from race riding, so he launched his training career just 10 miles down the road at Bramley, near Guildford, in August 1976. A year later, in 1977, he took out a dual trainers’ licence, remaining at Bramley for 4 years before transferring to Newmarket, taking over at Phantom House after the retirement of Ryan Jarvis' He enjoyed early wins in the Holsten Diat Pils Handicap, the Group 2 Henry II Stakes with Ore, ridden by Lester Piggott, and having Hurricane Hill placed third in the Lincoln Handicap. He had moved his string of 25 horses from Bramley, near Guildford, leasing Phantom House stables from Ryan Jarvis. He moved on to Savile House in time for the start of the 1985 season and was replaced by another Jarvis, William. Savile House Stables had been empty for the best part of 4 years when he finally took over, but Willie and his wife Judy totally renovated the stables, significantly improving the facilities. He was to remain at Saville House for over 30 years to become one of the oldest and most respected trainers in Newmarket, saddling his final runner, Broughton's Vision, at Chelmsford City on Thursday 29th September 2016. Although the horse finished sixth, he had won at Kempton over a mile in August, and was therefore Willie's last winner, but this was fitting because he was owned by Michael Broughton, one of Willie's most loyal owners throughout his time at Savile House.

October 2016-October 2018 Henry Spiller
Henry Spiller is a young, enthusiastic trainer who is destined for great things. His love of horses began when he was just a child. His father used to read him pedigrees instead of bedtime stories! His father, Charles, and mother Fiona set the foundations for Henry to learn and develop his passion for racehorse training. After periods spent with Jeremy Harley and John Oxx at the Curragh, Henry flew the nest and took up a position at Godolphin where he learned the trade from Saeed bin Suroor throughout Great Britain, America and Dubai. Henry struck out on his own with a couple of winners in 2015, training from one of the 2 barns at Saffron House Stables. He moved from Saffron House to Laureate Paddocks in August 2016, but in October 2016 he was based at Savile House Stables in the heart of Newmarket. In 2018 Henry was in his third full season, and his tally of winners continued their increase year on year. When Patrick Gilligan left Sackville House Stables bound for America, he was replaced by Robyn Brisland, while Nick Littmoden and Michael Squance trained there for a while, but in October 2018 Henry transferred to Sackville House.

November 2018-September 2019 Tom Clover
Tom Clover has been around racehorses and a racing environment all of his life. As soon as he was allowed to do so he contested point-to-point races and, after completing his statutory school education, he enrolled at the Royal Agricultural College at Cirencester where he gained a diploma. Tom launched his training career at the tender age of 30 towards the end of the 2016 racing season, having spent an invaluable and educational 6 years as assistant to David Simcock at Trillium Place, on Birdcage Walk, acknowledging that David and Jennie Simcock were great role models to follow. Prior to his time with the Simcock's he had been assistant to Charlie Longsden, experiencing life in a National Hunt Stable. He took over the 25 box Wroughton House Stables, ideally located at the foot of the Warren Hill gallops, in October 2016 and was ably supported by his partner Jackie Jarvis, daughter of the Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe winning trainer, and former master of Kremlin House stables, Michael Jarvis. The pair celebrated their first winner, aptly named Declarationoflove, on 8th May 2017. In November 2018 he transferred to Savile House Stables, and less than a year later, in September 2019 he, and Jackie, returned to take charge at Kremlin House Stables, leasing it from Jackie's mother Gay.

October 2019-present James Ferguson
Once Tom Clover decided to move across town to Kremlin House Stables the lease on Savile House became available and was signed by James Ferguson, son of the former successful National Hunt trainer and later Godolphin chief executive John Ferguson. James was a successful point-to-point jockey before turning his hand to training. He gained valuable experience with Charlie Appleby, Brian Meehan and Jessica Harrington before successfully applying for a licence to train in his own right.

Top 2 Savile House horses of all time
LONELY (1885 Epsom Oaks)
WAYGOOD (1923 Irish Derby)

© John Slusar 2023

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to