This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway has taken place In
Southampton since 1928. The first meeting was held at the Stadium, on Banister Court, on
6th October of that year and was to prove a success for Sprouts Elder who won the Golden
Gauntlet. The team took part in the Southern League until 1931 and then joined Provincial
and National Leagues.
They did reach National League Division 2 in 1938 and for a couple of periods in the 1940's and 1950's.
|They have won the Knockout Cup twice, in 1961 and 1963, and were League Champions in 1936 and again in 1962.|
|The original site in Banister Court was purchased by Charles Knott and he constructed a greyhound track. The first greyhound meeting was staged on 6th August 1928 and regular meetings were to take place throughout the next 35 years, with the final meeting being held on 3rd October 1963.|
|The team have been known as the Saints throughout their long history.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection