This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway has taken place in the
Swindon area since 1928. At least two main venues have been used, with a third being used
for training purposes. The first match was held at the Swindon Autodrome on 4th August
1928 and proved to be successful for C.Harman. This circuit saw only Open racing and
finally closed in 1930.
The new venue at Blunsdon was used for the first time on 23rd July 1949 with a crowd of 8000 seeing the Swindon team being beaten by Oxford by 45-39.
The team gradually rose through the League ranks, reaching the Premier League in 1995 and finally making the Elite League in 2004.
|The team were Knockout Cup winners in 2000 and League Champions on 3 occasions in 1956, 157 and 1967.|
|The Abbey Stadium, at Blunsdon, welcomed NGRC greyhound racing for the first time in April 1968. The main event was the Silver Plume run over 685 metres, an event transferred from Knowle Stadium once it closed.|
|The team has been known as the Rockets, the Sprockets and the M4 Raven Sprockets in its history.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
by Robert Bamford ISBN-10: 0752435523
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
The Swindon Robins currently (2019) contest the SGB Premiership. Recent successes include the SGB Premiership in 2017, the SGB Premiership Shield in 2018, the Elite League Champions in 2012 and the Elite League Shield in 2008, 2013 and 2018.
|More detailed information is available
from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville's website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection