This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway arrived at Walthamstow on
16th August 1934 when the home team enjoyed an opening victory against Wimbledon 29-25.
The team initially entered the National League when the Lea Bridge team could not continue
with their fixtures. The last meeting at the Chingford circuit was on 3rd October 1935
against Wembley when the Wolves were beaten 32-22.
By 1949 the Wolves were back in action at the Chingford Raod track in the National League Division 2. They drew their first match on 4th April against Southampton and counted their first season as a success. However, they only lasted two more seasons before closing for good on 8th October 1951, albeit with a victory by 51-33 against Edinburgh Monarchs.
|FACT: The team had to move after the first season because of a noise injunction against them.|
|The first greyhound meeting took place at the
Chingford Road venue, North-East London, on 15 April 1931 on a track constructed by
William Chandler. His family owned the track throughout its existence. The track witnessed
some of the most prestigious races on the calendar, including the Stow Marathon over 820
metres, the Grand Prix over 640 metres, and the Carling Test over 640 metres.
|FACT: The track length was initially 306 yards but was reduced to 282 yards in 1949.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|FACT: The team only ever had the one nickname of 'The Wolves'.|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.