This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing first came to the
Wimbledon area of London in 1928. The first meeting held at the Plough Lane venue was on
28th May of that year and was to prove successful for Frank Arthur in taking the Golden
After an initial bout of Open racing the team entered the Southern League in 1929 but by 1937 they had made National League Division One.
Further successes followed, including an amazing period of success from 1954 to 1961. The team were in British League Division One in 1991but then had a spell in the Conference League from 2002-2005.
The final event took place on 5th October 2005.
|The team have been Knockout Cup winners in 1962 and 1968-70and were League Champions throughout the period 1954 to 1961, with the exception of 1957.|
|Greyhound racing first took place at the famous Wimbledon track on 19th May 1928 with the very first race being won by World of Roses. The track has hosted some of the most prestigious races in the calendar, including The Laurels, the Puppy Derby and, when White City closed, the Greyhound Derby.|
|Throughout their illustrious history the team has been known as the Dons.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection