This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing has enjoyed at
least three different venues in the Workington area, beginning in 1931 at Lonsdale Park.
The first match took place on 15th August of that year when G.B.Mortimer was successful.
The Club enjoyed a brief spell of Open racing but it was not an altogether successful
Racing switched to Derwent Park Stadium in 1970 with the first meeting taking place on the 3rd April, although the Comets lost to Berwick. However, it proved to be much more successful than the previous venue and a crowd in excess of 5000 attended.
The team went from strength to strength and joined the British Premier League in 1999 and have remained there ever since.
|The team were Four Pairs Champions in 1999, 2000, 2001 and again in 2003.|
|Greyhound racing took place under the direction of Cumberland Greyhound company and they continued to use the track until 1999.|
|Throughout their history the team has been known as the Comets and the Tigers.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection