This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing came to the St Mirren Football ground in 1975. That inaugural meet was on 5th April of that year and it was to prove to be a successful one for the Lions who beat Birmingham by 41-37. Things looked bright with a crowd in excess of 6000 in attendance.|
|Initially crowds increased bit then interest waned and the team held their final match on 25th September 1976.|
|Greyhound racing first took place at the Love
Road circuit in 1932 with a meeting on 14th October. It was to be some 43 more years
before speedway came to the track.
|The track length was 391 metres.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
Throughout their all too brief period of action the team were known as the Lions.
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection